12.10.2010

Second Place Forever...

I've always heard/known that children have a special affinity for their mothers. I mean as hard as we dad's try, it just can't compare with how kids feel about their mom. Although I knew this, the reality of it sunk in yesterday when I got home from work. I took Thompson and he was in one of his happy, awake moods so I just sat and talked to him and tried to get him to smile. He seemed like he was having a grand ole time, but he wouldn't look directly at me. He was always looking above me or the side. I just thought, "Well this must be a developmental issue and he will be looking right at me in no time." My naivety was quickly exposed as Melissa came over to say hi to him. Thompson looked directly into her eyes and smiled! Being the jealous dad, I put my face in between theirs, trying to force him to look right at me. He just turned his head to the side or up or down and no matter how I tried, he wouldn't look directly at me. Then Melissa would take him and he would just stare right into her eyes and smile. I finally had to admit it. Game over. I lose. He already loves his mom more than his dad.

Melissa will likely deny this up and down and sweetly tell me something to try to make me feel better like, "He is just used to me," or "He is just tired right now." Well, I've come to accept the fact that I will always have to settle for second place. But you know what? I'm ok with that. I'm not sad or discouraged at all. Instead, when I try to get my rebellious little son to look me in the eyes, he reminds me how amazing his mom is. In fact, if I were him and I had a choice, I would definitely choose her over me any day.

With a first place as good as Melissa, I'm just glad I'm still in the running.

4 comments:

  1. You have to remember - the mom is the one with the food most of the time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry, you won't be second place forever. Just wait till he gets a little older. Sorry Melissa, but mom gets really boring when she is home all the time. When dad comes home he is quite the rock star around here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's what I said! Plus I am sure dad will let him get away with much more than I do!

    ReplyDelete